Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fighting Shadows by Aly Martinez My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Fighting Shadows (On the Ropes, #2)Fighting Shadows by Aly Martinez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars





#teammabie This was such a refreshing read. Just, Wow!



Must read!



Genre: Contemporary
Series: Yes. Book two in the series
Rating: 5/5
Steam level: 3.5/5
Main characters: Flint Page (bookworm) and Ash Mabie (hustler)


Synopsis:

I come from a family of fighters. I always thought I’d follow in their shadows, becoming unstoppable in the ring. That changed the day I saved the life of a woman I loved, but could never have.

My brother hailed me as a hero, and my reward was a wheelchair.

Paralyzed, my life became an inescapable nightmare.

Until I met her.

Ash Mabie had a heart-stopping smile and a laugh that numbed the rage and resentment brewing inside of me. She showed me that even the darkest night still had stars, and it didn’t matter one bit that you had to lie in the weeds to see them.

I was a jaded asshole who fell for a girl with a knack for running away. I couldn’t even walk but I would have spent a lifetime chasing her.

Now, I’m on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life.
Fighting the shadows of our past.
Fighting to reclaim my future.
Fighting for her.


Did I enjoy?: Yes. Immensely.

Brief review:

Aly is a phenomenal writer. I stumbled into her books and have been very pleased ever since I lost my Aly-virginity. I discovered something super amazing while reading the series the On the Rope. All the Page boys are named after rocks. And each of these boys, who throughout this book have grown into men are often damaged by the people of the world but in the end have a solid foundation when together and if divided still make a significant impact.








Back to this wonderful tale. I loved the story, the characters the outcome. It was heartfelt and disastrous all at the same time. I was shocked with the directions of this story. I wondered how Aly was going to make the reader okay with Flint loving Eliza. Till did everything to take care of his brothers and ensure that they had an awesome life, minus their worthless parents. He achieved that but life, often unfair still managed to hurt Flint not once (being shot), not twice (being enraged) but three times (Mabie).








The growth in the book is evident and was defining. Ash Mabie is my golden star. She just wants….and I love that. She is breath of fresh air and makes Flint a better person.
Their story is not hearts and flowers. There is blood, tears, dirt, and silence. The worst (emotionally) in this book was the not knowing, the silence. Oh the beginning of this tale, was phenomenal!
This book is the break off to the Wrecked and Ruin series. You do not have to read that series to understand On the Ropes, I would advise that you do because Aly is such an amazing writer. I can honestly admit that I have read four of her books. Two from Wrecked and Ruin, I actual read it not in the order it should have been read. I read book #3 Broken Course (LOVED IT) and then read On the Rope book #1 Fighting Silence (Loved it). I followed by reading book 2 of On the Rope Fighting Shadows and then book #2 Stolen Course of the Wrecked and Ruin Series. If you have not read this series, start on it now.








This book can be read as a standalone and it does involve a HEA even with all the angst that Aly likes to put us through.








Happy Reading






View all my reviews

No comments: