Saturday, February 28, 2015

5-star review of Fighting Silence

Fighting Silence (On the Ropes, #1)Fighting Silence by Aly Martinez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Aly once again brought tears to my eyes and made we want to fight a bitch (male or female). The romance, conflict, and super drama was so yummy. Aly’s writing just made me want to fight some of those characters in the book. Her brings it out of me. I was overwhelmed by this heart wrenching story of two people learning how to survive at such a young age and depending on each other. I was drawn to the new theme that is present in this book and it is glorious.

How the characters and their development (which you all know I am big on) are written showing how they were made for each other. I am about to get really deep here so bare with me. The entire time I read Fighting Silence, all I thought of was The Symposium by Plato. I have placed some quotes from this book. Once you read them and the book you will see why I believe that Till and Eliza are soulmates.

They were first friends and then it grew to more. There was not a day that did not go by that they were not with one another.

“...and when one of them meets the other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy and one will not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment...” (The Symposium by Plato)

Until, there was a day that one of them believed that they should end this wonderful intimacy and that changed them. It changed their relationship, I would say for the better.

“...and when one of them meets the other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy and one will not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment...” (The Symposium by Plato)

Aly gave the characters and the reader such power; were you felt as though you had nothing. Eliza was phenomenal. She was my definition of the poem Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou. Eliza was strong when she needed to be and she was soft and sweet when needed. She was definitely more mature than Till and she saw greatness in him, when he was not able to see it in himself.

Till had a great support system and used it to the “t”. He became a better man, friend, lover, brother, and fighter due to this support. And on a personal touch, Aly gave us a man who worked hard. Put in his dues and was physical strong. He was my version of a new age caveman, and I mean this is in the best way.

**Recently, books are about billionaires and millionaire and not about the hard working blue collar man. Don’t get me wrong, I love them too, but this book make the story more realistic to me and I think that was another reason why I rated this book so high and put it on my best book list.**

I have talked around the best parts of the story because I don’t give spoilers away in my reviews. Now if you want the spoilers, you just have to message me. I will put you at ease, a little and say this:

Boy meets girl, girl does not like boy, boy wins over girl, there is a bunch of greatness and sadness in the middle, and then it ends. It ends but it begins. I know, I know, I still did not give much, but you will see. This book is a must read and got five stars for all of it’s greatness and once again, the smut was not present like I like it but, surprise, surprise I loved it.

What are these contemporary authors doing to me?

I think they are pulling me to their side.

I have to remember that every character in every book that I read brings about a change in me and Aly did damn well bringing a change.

Happy reading.



View all my reviews

No comments: